Newcastle United have officially announced the signing of Czech international goalkeeper Lukas Horníček from Portuguese side SC Braga for £25.7 million (€30 million).
The 24-year-old shot-stopper signed a five-year contract keeping him at St. James' Park through June 2031 after Newcastle activated his release clause.
Key Transfer Highlights
Transfer Fee: £25.7m (€30m release clause activated)
Contract Length: 5 years (until June 2031)
Previous Club: SC Braga
Position: Goalkeeper
Age / Height: 24 years old | 6ft 6in (1.98m)
Summer Additions: Fifth senior signing of the window following Ewen Jaouen, Bazoumana Touré, Sean Steur, and Aladji Bamba.
Reaction to the Move
"The last few days have been an emotional rollercoaster from when I first heard about the move, and now I'm so happy to be here. It's a brilliant opportunity in a new league, which I'm very excited about. From the very first moment I arrived here, I received a fantastic welcome and really felt the warmth of the club... I know Newcastle is a huge football city, with 52,000 fans at St James' Park creating an incredible atmosphere. I can't wait to play in front of them."
— Lukas Horníček
Newcastle Sporting Director Ross Wilson highlighted Horníček's remarkable progression in recent years:
"He has firmly established himself as one of Europe's top young goalkeepers. We knew there would be no shortage of clubs interested in acquiring Lukas this summer after everything he achieved last season, but it quickly became evident how keen he was to be a part of what we are building here."
Why Newcastle Targeted Horníček
Following a challenging domestic campaign in which Newcastle kept only eight Premier League clean sheets and conceded 55 goals, securing a top-tier goalkeeper was a central priority for the club.
European Pedigree: Horníček registered a tournament-high 7 clean sheets during Braga’s journey to the UEFA Europa League semi-finals last season.
Distribution Skills: Opta data ranked Horníček second among Liga Portugal goalkeepers for total successful passes (846) and fourth for passing accuracy (75%).
Physicality & Command: Standing at 6ft 6in, Horníček led the Portuguese top flight in total clearances (51) and ranked among Europe's top goalkeepers for successful sweeper actions.

0 Comments
This space aims to broaden the debate on the subject addressed in the news, democratically and respectfully. Comments that violate laws and ethical and moral principles or that promote illegal or criminal activities will not be accepted. Therefore, slanderous, defamatory, prejudiced, offensive, aggressive comments, those that use foul language, incite violence, express hate speech or contain links will be summarily deleted.