Header Ads Widget

Mourinho Returns to Champions League as Real Madrid Host Inter

 Few fixtures carry as much historical resonance for Jose Mourinho as a Champions League clash against Inter Milan.

Sixteen years ago, Mourinho stood inside the Santiago Bernabeu and lifted European football's ultimate prize after guiding Inter to a 2-0 victory over Bayern Munich in the 2010 final.

That triumph secured a historic treble and marked the conclusion of his Inter tenure, paving the way for his immediate move to Real Madrid.

Now, following a decade-long absence, Mourinho is back on the Bernabeu touchline as Real Madrid host the Italian champions.

For Real Madrid, the encounter serves as an immediate barometer of whether their returning manager can guide them back to continental glory.

The Unfinished Mission in Madrid

When Mourinho originally arrived at Real Madrid in 2010, his directives were clear: dethrone Barcelona and claim the club's 10th European Cup.

While domestic silverware followed—including the 2011 Copa del Rey and the 2012 La Liga title—European success proved elusive as his side suffered three consecutive semi-final exits.

Mourinho departed in 2013 without delivering the coveted Champions League trophy, yet he remains adamant that his initial reign carries no weight today.

"At Real Madrid, I'm going through two different periods," Mourinho stated. "I ended working for Real Madrid in 2013... This is a closed chapter. This match against Inter has nothing to do with the past."

He inherits a squad eager to re-establish stability after a challenging campaign.

"What I've found at Real Madrid is what I've always found here," he explained. "The best club in the world. Obviously in the Bernabeu, I've won the Champions League, I've lost a Champions League semi-final through penalties, but I've had the best and the worst in this stadium."

French forward Kylian Mbappe echoed that sentiment when asked about the manager's impact.

"Mourinho brings his whole career," Mbappe said. "He is a guy who knows how to win, to have a group around him and he knows about giving motivation to the whole group."

Resetting After Domestic Setback

Real's preparations were disrupted by a weekend defeat to Real Betis, their first setback under Mourinho this season.

"We lost because we have not been able to translate offensive production into goals," Mourinho noted.

Mbappe, whose late penalty was saved by Alvaro Valles during the loss, called for calm ahead of the European opener.

"The most important thing is to score goals and that is my responsibility," Mbappe said. "We are very relaxed. My experience with Real Madrid says I shouldn't think too long-term because a lot can change."

A Lasting Connection with Inter

Despite the competitive stakes, Mourinho's affinity for Inter remains undiminished.

"I would love to see people from Inter before and after the game," Mourinho remarked. "But during the game, they won't see me as a friend. I want Real Madrid to win. This is football's nature."

While downplaying the immediate necessity of winning game one in the expanded league phase, he acknowledged every point matters.

"Tomorrow is not especially important as it won't decide anything," he added. "We have seven games and I think us and Inter will qualify... But every point is important."

At the close of his pre-match press conference, an Italian reporter presented Mourinho with a small garden sprinkler adorned with a bow.

The gesture referenced Inter's famous 2010 semi-final win over Barcelona at Camp Nou, where pitch sprinklers were activated as Mourinho celebrated on the turf.

Sixteen years after providing his signature European memory, Inter now stand as the first barrier in his pursuit of creating another.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c4gqd5l72j8o

Post a Comment

0 Comments